Now that the football season has started, and I'm back in the country, and not in hospital...
...I thought it might be a nice idea to make some predictions about the year ahead, and raise a small amount of money for charity in the process. Unsurprisingly, the charity I'm thinking of is The Hoja Project in Tanzania, from which I've just returned.
A minimum of a £2 donation buys you into the game, which pays for about...
- 2 weeks' schooling for a secondary school pupil, or
- one tenth of a loan to help a villager set up a small business project.
Simply make your donation at justgiving.com/hoja and comment here (or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org) with your predictions by the end of August 2009 (you can predict now and make last minute changes if you like, just as long as it's by the end of the month). Make sure I can match up your justgiving donation with your predictions!
I'll update the current standings at the end of every month, and I'll arrange for My Man In Dar Es Salaam to select and send an appropriate item of unimaginable Tanzanian footballing merchandise, out of which I can make a trophy.
This is what you need to do:
Select the position order of the 20 Premiership teams at the end of the season, and these few other predictions.
- Team with Best Goal Difference
- Team with Worst Goal Difference
- Team with Most Draws
- Team with Best Disciplinary Record (according to Premier League website)
- Team with Worst Disciplinary Record
- Top Scoring Player
That's all you need to do. No having to pay attention all season like with fantasy football. Make your predictions now and they stand as they are. You want to score points for these predictions so that your score is as low as possible.
The teams are:
West Ham United
You can find out more about the teams on the Premier League Website.
For every position each team is out by, you score 1pt.
eg. If you predict Stoke City will finish 8th, and they finish 13th, you will score 5pts. If they finish 7th, however, you'll only score 1pt.
So you want to score as few points in total as possible.
You will lose more points for your top and bottom 3 teams:
- -2pts for each correct top/bottom team
- a further -3pts for getting the top or bottom 3 teams exactly right
You can lower your score further by making a few other predictions, which are below, along with the number of points you lose if you're correct:
- Team with Best Goal Difference (-2pts)
- Team with Worst Goal Difference (-2pts)
- Team with Most Draws (-2pts)
- Team with Best Disciplinary Record (according to Premier League website) (-2pts)
- Team with Worst Disciplinary Record (-2pts)
- Top Scoring Player (-5pts)